31 May A Life Plan Community That Aspires To Blue Zone Living
Posted at 09:22h
The Woodlands at Furman is creating a Blue Zone in Greenville, SC
“Eat your vegetables, have a positive outlook, be kind to people and smile.” – Dan Buettner, author of The Blue Zones: 9 Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who’ve Lived the Longest.
Life Plan Communities have been around for more than 100 years and most of them view their primary mission as “caring for seniors.” But a select few are starting to embrace a more aspirational mission of creating something like a “Blue Zone” for their residents. What is a Blue Zone exactly? There are five areas of the world where people live longer, active and healthy lives: Okinawa, Japan; Sardinia, Italy; Nicoya, Costa Rica; Ikaria, Greece; and Loma Linda, California. And a disproportionate number of the Blue Zone population can live well into their 100s and beyond.
Intentional Life Plan Communities have the opportunity to emulate key aspects of these Blue Zones by creating supportive environmental factors that promote healthy living and social engagement. These include walking and exercise, lifelong learning opportunities, healthy eating options and connecting with nature.
At The Woodlands at Furman, we love the idea of embracing the best practices from Blue Zone living and applying them to community life. As a premier, upscale not-for-profit Life Plan Community located in Greenville, SC, The Woodlands offers the best of both worlds: a walkable golf course community within six miles of downtown Greenville and a full continuum of care. Residents of The Woodlands enjoy the natural beauty of the area while still being close to all the amenities that Greenville is famous for.
And the word is out: The Woodlands was recognized as a six-time “Best of the Upstate” award-winner from the Greenville News with a five-star Medicare rating.
The Woodlands is committed to creating our own little Blue Zone for our residents. Here are some ways we do it:
- Healthy and Delicious Dining: The Woodlands offers residents a variety of dining options, including a restaurant-style dining room and a café, both of which feature healthy, locally-sourced ingredients. We also offer cooking classes and workshops on healthy eating.
- Engaging Physical Activity: The Woodlands has a fitness center, a heated indoor pool and a variety of exercise classes, including yoga and tai chi. And with its location on the Swamp Rabbit Trail, residents have access to miles of walking and biking paths.
- A Robust Social Circle: The Woodlands offers a variety of social events and activities, including book clubs, gardening clubs and movie nights. We also have a full-time activities director who plans outings and excursions to local attractions.
- Lifelong Learning Opportunities: As mentioned, The Woodlands offers residents access to the OLLI program, which allows them to take classes and attend lectures on a wide range of topics.
- Five-Star Rated Skilled Nursing Care: The Woodlands offers a continuum of care, from independent living to skilled nursing care. This means that residents can age in place and receive the care they need without having to move to a different community.
By promoting healthy living and social engagement, Life Plan Communities like ours have the potential to create a Blue Zone for residents, right here in South Carolina. If you’re looking for a community that offers the best of both worlds – a serene, natural setting and access to five-star care that downtown Greenville has to offer – look no further than The Woodlands at Furman.
We look forward to meeting you! Call 864-371-3100, or use the form on our Contact page to schedule a personal appointment, or to learn more.